Tuesday 23 April 2013

A Week Off to Procrastinate?


Last week at work was review week. A nice handy week, spent going back over things I'd already covered, answering questions from panicked students about the content and difficulty of the impending mid-term exam and then breezing out the door at lunch time on Thursday, not having to be back in until next Thursday, when they'll be sitting my exam.  I was expecting to be bribed with a tonne of presents from my students, in exchange for the promise of a good grade, but presents were disappointingly lacking.  All I got was an orange!

Not quite an apple, but close enough!

 So what am I doing with my week off? Good question! 

Friday, the first day of my week off, was relatively productive.  I did a shop, I went to the bank to pay a few bills, I collected the last of my things from my old apartment and I went for an overdue post laser-eye surgery check-up.  Its been just over 6 months since my surgery and according to my doctor my eyes are well healed and look healthy so I've 'graduated' from the clinic.  Delighted!  In true Korean fashion, he asked for a photo of the two of us together before I left, I presume in a bid to get more 외국인 (foreigners)  in the door!  Still, I was chuffed, I've graduated eye school :)

I have a list of things the length of my arm that I'd like to do this week, but whether I actually get them done or not is another thing. I stumbled across an interesting read on Thought Catalogue before my class last Thursday. It was an article on procrastination (read it here) and it said that 'procrastination is not caused by laziness or disorganization, but by deeper psychological issues' and that its 'not typically a function of laziness, apathy or work ethic as it is often regarded to be. It’s a neurotic self-defence behaviour that develops to protect a person’s sense of self-worth.'  

I'm prone to some fairly serious bouts of procrastination myself as I've mentioned before, and so I read this article with interest, wondering if any of it holds true for me.  As I said, I've a long list of things I'd like to get done this week, not least getting started on some of my 91 Things, but I suppose I'll have to wait 'til after the week is over to see did I actually get any of them done!

1 comment:

  1. Four weeks later and that list is just getting longer. No more Korean learnt, no more blog posts written, no new blogs found to follow and comment on....but the summer has arrived (at last) so at least I've got a few cheeky looking freckles on my nose to show for myself!

    ReplyDelete